In solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement and pursuing justice for George Floyd, we will be only sharing this post today. Today, the music industry is participating in a media blackout in efforts of taking a step of action to provoke accountability and change.
“As gatekeepers of the culture, it’s our responsibility to not only come together to celebrate the wins, but also hold each other up during a loss.”
However, just because there is a call to action to silent your regularly scheduled content, that doesn’t mean don’t be active on social media! Please take time today to have a conversation with a friend, make donations to organizations in need, and conduct further research about the history of our current events and how they came to be.
If you’d like to donate, here is a link to organizations in every state of the country that your dollars can make a difference with.
If you are unable to donate, but would like to contribute, please stream this video to support BLM without spending money or leaving your house!
Suggested Literature, Television, and Music to educate + familiarize yourself with Black culture.
5 Series on Netflix
- Explained: The Racial Wealth Gap
- Time: The Kalief Browder Story
- When They See Us
- Who Killed Malcom X?
- Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
- Barracoon by Zora Zeale Hurston
- Head Off & Split by Nikky Finney
- Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave by Frederick Douglass
- Salt by Earl Lovelace
- In Black and White: Racist reporting and how to fight it
- In the Castle of My Skin by George Lemming